Popular Posts

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Ugandan COPA Boy Meets His Hero, Kennedy Mweene

The COPA Coca-Cola tournament has produced many football stars in the African continent. Every single year, a new player excels amongst the many.

One the most renowned sons of the tournament is Zambian goalkeeper Kennedy Mweene. The former Free State Stars custodian who recently signed for Mamelodi Sundowns commands respect amongst his peers .

And to young upcoming goalkeepers like Uganda’s Tumusiime Aloysius, the Chipolopolo goalkeeper is a role model. Tumusiime considers himself as the future of Uganda’s goalkeeping position and while playing for his team in the ongoing COPA Under-15 international camp tournament, he got to meet the present of Zambia’s goalkeeping position.

“I sincerely can’t believe I got to meet the man I look up to. This is a dream come true and am happy beyond explanation,” said Tumusiime after meeting Mweene who traveled to Pretoria to grace a tournament which was the launching pad of his career.

“He is the best goalkeeper we’ve had in Africa for quite some time now. I like him for his confidence when facing penalties and also the way he commands his defence,” says the 15-year-old Ugandan.

Mweene, the Chipolopolo vice captain and Africa Cup of Nations winning goalkeeper traces his roots to a humble background in State Lodge Police Camp in Lusaka, Zambia. The 5 ft 10 inch custodian started his bright career after participating in the 2002 COPA Coca-Cola national championships in Zambia.

“This is where I started making my name. I am a big fan of COPA Coca-Cola not just for the opportunity they provided me but for the what they are doing to improve African football,” said Mweene.

“I am glad that such young talents look up to me. That means I am doing the right thing and I can only encourage Tumusiime to keep working hard and he’ll become even a better goalkeeper than me,” he adds.

As he met his hero, Tumusiime could only let out a big smile and savor the moment. “It’s not everyday that you get to meet your heroes so this is massive to me. After meeting Mweene, I feel rejuvenated and ready to take my game to the next level,” he concludes.


Aloysius, a Form 2 student at Kings College Budo in Kampala, Uganda’s capital, participated in his maiden COPA tournament last year and seized his chance.

And That's thesteifmastertake!!

1 comment: